Let me introduce you to some Korean beauty tricks and tips:
I lived in South Korea for a year and a half, from the time I was about 19 to 21 years old. Every other store was a beauty/cosmetic shop or a skincare store. It’s not hard to tell that Korea has a strong beauty community and certain ways of taking care of themselves. Their beauty products and practices make big stances in beauty communities and lives all around the world now. From their skin products to beauty tricks, let’s look into some of these things I’ve noticed and what I know about them!
– Although BB Cream was first created in Germany, South Korea played a huge role in it’s development over the years, making it a major part of their makeup routine. BB creams are a lighter kind of foundation but also have properties good for the skin. Skin care is really important to many Koreans so they tend to take good care of their skin. They tend to be more natural with makeup anyways, so something light like BB cream is ideal.
Sheet Face Masks
– In all the skin/beauty stores or sections in Korea, you will always find sheet face masks! So many different kinds, with different ingredients. Some are cut and colored to make you look like a certain animal while others will make you look like zombie. Some help with wrinkles with ingredients like collagen while others keep you moisturized with different types of oils and such. Just pop them on for 10-15mins (without moving your face or talking too much) and then take it off. Simple.
– I think Koreans are the Kings and Queens of exfoliation. Not just on their face, but all over their body. Korea has many bath houses where you can go and relax in the spa areas, but also take special baths, showers and scrub down. I’ve been, and let me tell you, they exfoliate. It’s a great experience!
– Whenever I would do my skin care routine, like wash my face and moisturize and all that, my Korean roommates would always advise the same thing. Tap/dab your products onto your skin. Don’t rub it in or anything like that! Also, I noticed when they do their skin routines, they slap their faces a number of times kind of hard. Apparently it helps shape and tighten the skin. Koreans (or Asians in general) age super well, so I believed them! I’ve met 50 year old Korean women who looked like they were in their 30’s!
Face Lifting Mask/Tools
– Ranging from face masks that lift your face and define your jawline, to face rollers, Koreans are known to use these things a lot. They refer to the jawline as a “V-line” as they prefer it be well defined, like a V (when you look straight forward). It is desirable and common characteristic of a beautiful girl. When taking pictures, you might notice many Korean girls will hold their faces up to their hands which are shaped as a “V” or that they hold up peace signs on each hand and hold it up to their faces (around the jawline). They do this to try and accentuate that “V-line” even more. So a lifting and shaping mask and rollers are used in routines. They love this “V-line.”
Now that’s just the beginning. There are so many things and products Korea has revolutionized in the beauty community. These are the few I noticed myself and could speak about right off the top of my head. Give some a try and let me know how it goes. With more research and such, there can be a part 2 someday too! Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed these Korean beauty tricks and tips.