Immunity boosting chai is a good way to kickstart your immune system in the morning. During the COVID-19 crisis I have been researching different natural remedies to help boost my immune system against the coronavirus. I enjoy drinking masala chai in the morning and thought, why not add some immunity boosting ingredients to my morning routine?
Black pepper, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, honey, and cardamom are all immune boosters and fight against bacterial/viral infection.
I decided it would be a good (and) delicious idea to add these ingredients into my morning chai – I was so right! Read on to learn how to make this delicious chai.
You will need:
- A pestle & mortar (or powdered version of the ingredients)
- Tea strainer
- A teacup and a pot
- 5 black peppercorns (Contains the active ingredient Piperine which protects against cell damage and improves absorption of nutrients)
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder or cinnamon stick (Contains Cinnamaldehyde which fights against infection)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger (Known to fight against flu it contains Gingerol which has high anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties)
- 5 whole cloves (Clove is a known anti-bacterial agent used in traditional Chinese medicine)
- 5 pieces of black cardamom (Prevents and relieves cold and flu symptoms)
- 1 teaspoon honey (Honey, especially Manuka Honey has strong anti-viral properties)
I add my peppercorns, cloves, and cardamom into a pestle & mortar and mash the ingredients into a spice blend.
As I am creating my spice blend, I boil 1 part water and 1 part 2% milk (whole milk and almond milk are fine too) into a pot and add a teaspoon of loose black tea. I let it heat for a minute or two and then add my spice blend, cinnamon, and ginger into the pot. I let the tea mixture simmer until it starts to rise.
After I am done brewing the tea, I pour it with a tea strainer into my favorite mug then add a teaspoon of honey (or more for extra sweetness).
All done! Now you have a fresh cup of immunity-boosting spiced chai. It is nice and spicy making me feel energized for the day – not to mention that it is absolutely delicious.